Pancake Day (Shrove Tuesday) falls on 9th February this year and we’ve got a foolproof recipe for you to try. You don’t just have to save them for Pancake Day though, enjoy them throughout the year as a tasty treat!
Mix together eggs and flour into a thin batter and you’ve got a type of cake – pancakes! They’re affordable, quick and easy to make and can be filled with all sorts of delicious fillings, both sweet and savoury.
Makes 10-12 pancakes
- 110g (4oz) plain flour
- A pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs, free range if possible
- 250ml semi-skimmed milk
- Vegetable oil for frying
1. Sift the flour with the salt into a large bowl, holding the sieve high to give the flour a good airing. Make a well in the centre and break the eggs into it.
2. Slowly pour in the milk a small amount at a time and start to whisk the eggs and milk (use a balloon whisk or fork) incorporating a bit of flour from the edges a bit at a time. Keep doing this until all the flour is mixed in and whisk to a smooth batter with the consistency of single cream. Pour the batter into a jug.
3. Heat a small, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Swirl in 1 teaspoon of oil and ensure the pan is coated with oil. 4. When the frying pan is hot, pour in a small amount of batter. Tilt and rotate the frying pan to even out the base. After about 30 seconds the pancake should start to set. Loosen the edges and shake the pan. Flip the pancake over and cook the other side until a light golden brown colour.
5. Slide the pancake onto a plate and keep warm. Cook the rest of the pancakes, adding a couple of drops of oil each time to the pan.
6. Serve with lemon juice and a dusting of sugar.
Pancakes can be eaten sweet or savoury. Try the following fillings:
– A squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of sugar
– Mixed berries and honey
– Blueberries and caramelised banana slices
– Stewed apples and cinnamon
– Chocolate hazelnut paste (like nutella) and sliced bananas
– Stuffed with spinach, cheese sauce and baked
– Roll each pancake with a slice of ham and cooked mushrooms. Place pancake rolls in an oven proof dish. Pour over a white sauce (béchamel sauce) and a sprinkle of cheese. Grill or bake until golden brown
If you like this recipe, then visit our recipe page for lots more tasty and nutritious ideas: