1. Pre-heat oven to 190°C/gas mark 5.
2. Peel, core and slice the apples. Squeeze the lemon juice over the apples to prevent them from browning. Place the apple slices in an ovenproof dish and sprinkle with one tablespoon of sugar. Add the raisins/sultanas and ground cinnamon if using.
3. Make the crumble by rubbing the flour and margarine together in a bowl until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
4. Stir in the oats and remaining sugar.
5. Sprinkle the crumble over the apples.
6. Bake for 30 minutes until the crumble is golden brown.
You can also try using different fruits, such as mixed winter or summer berries.
675g (1½ lb) medium dessert apples (about 5-6 apples)
½ lemon, juice (2 tablespoons)
50g (2oz) brown sugar (3 tablespoons)
30g (1oz) raisins or sultanas (optional)
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
150g (5oz) wholemeal flour (7½ tablespoons)
50g (2oz) cold margarine (3 tablespoons)
50g (2oz) porridge oats/ rolled oats (5 tablespoons)