1. Heat the vegetable oil in a large shallow pan over a
moderate heat. When hot add the mustard seeds and
cumin seeds. They will pop so cover immediately.
When the seeds have finished popping add the minced
ginger. Fry for 10-15 seconds without burning.
2. Add the aubergine and cook for 3-4 minutes.
3. Sprinkle over the turmeric, chilli powder, ground
coriander and ground ginger. Stir well, cover and cook
for 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally. Add a splash
4. Add the tomatoes, stir, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
Add another splash of water. The aubergine and
tomatoes should be soft and tender but not too
wet or sloppy.
5. Add the peas and salt and continue to cook for another
5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add another splash
of water if required.
6. Garnish with fresh coriander and a squeeze of lemon
juice just before serving.
1½ tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2.5cm (1 inch) piece root ginger, peeled,
minced to a paste
450g (1lb) aubergines, cut into finger size pieces
about 2cm (¾ inch) thick
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 large tomatoes, sliced
200g (7oz) frozen peas, defrosted
¼ teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons fresh coriander, chopped
A squeeze of lemon juice