1. Preheat oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4), grease and line a loaf tin.
2. Sift together the flours, bicarbonate of soda and mixed spice into a bowl. Tip into the bowl any bran that remains in the sieve.
3. In a large bowl cream together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Whisk eggs then beat them a little at a time into the margarine and sugar mixture.
5. Add the flour and 2 tablespoons boiling water and fold together.
6. Peel and mash the bananas with a fork and add to the mixture, stir well.
7. Roughly chop the nuts into small pieces and stir into the cake mixture.
8. Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for 45 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
85g (3oz) plain flour
85g (3oz) wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
110g (4oz) margarine
110g (4oz) caster sugar
2 tablespoons boiling water
60g (2oz) nuts e.g. pecan, walnut