1. Mix the cornflour in a small cup with 1 tablespoon of milk until a paste is formed with no lumps.
2. Bring the rest of the milk to the boil on the hob in a saucepan.
3. Reduce hob temperature so milk is simmering then gradually add cornflour mix into the heated milk, stirring continuously.
4. Continue stirring until the sauce begins to thicken.
5. The sauce should be smooth and glossy without any lumps.
6. Season with black pepper.
1 level tablespoon cornflour
275ml (¼ pint) semi-skimmed milk (thick sauce) OR
425ml (½ pint) semi-skimmed milk (medium thick sauce) OR
570ml (1 pint) semi-skimmed smilk (thin sauce)