1. In a large bowl whisk the eggs. Add the salt, warm
water and the yeast mixture and whisk well. Slowly
add the flour and knead to a dough. Pour in the melted
butter and continue kneading until the butter is all
incorporated. The dough should be very soft
2. Divide into 16 equal size pieces and using your hands
gently roll into smooth balls. Place on a floured baking
sheet and brush each with oil. Cover with cling film
and a clean tea towel and leave to rise for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 170°C/ gas mark 3.
4. Use a rolling pin and a clean floured surface and roll
out each dough ball to a very thin circle about 25cm (10
inches) in diameter. Pass it from hand to hand to
stretch it our further but without breaking. It should
be as thin as possible, so that you can almost see
5. Place the dough layer directly onto a lightly oiled
baking sheet and brush the top with melted butter.
Continue with 7 more layers. On the last layer, brush
the top with beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with
6. Make another cake with the remaining dough
repeating steps 4 and 5.
7. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes and until the top is
8. Serve drizzled with honey.
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup warm water, about 50-60ml
1 teaspoon dried active yeast, dissolved in ¼ cup of
warm water, about 50-60ml
420g (15oz) of bread flour
45ml melted butter – 3 tablespoons
An additional 45ml melted butter, for brushing
1 egg yolk, for the egg wash
Honey for drizzling