A great way of using up leftover potatoes and vegetables!
1. Mash the potatoes until lump free and smooth. Add the milk if the potatoes are a little dry.
2. Roughly chop up the leftover vegetables and add to the mashed potatoes. Season with black pepper, chilli and herbs and mix to combine.
3. Sprinkle the flour onto a large plate.
4. Using clean hands form small patties and lightly coat in flour.
5. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a frying pan. When the oil is hot fry the patties on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown and heated through. Do this in two batches if necessary.
6. Alternatively you can make one large patty by adding the entire mixture into the hot frying pan. Use a wooden spoon to press down lightly and to level out the top. Fry gently for 3-4 minutes. To cook the other side place a large plate over the pan and invert the patty. Slip it back into the pan and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes on the other side. Cut into wedges and serve.
250g (9oz) cold leftover cooked potatoes
2 tablespoons milk (optional)
2-3 handfuls cold leftover cooked vegetables – sprouts, carrots, parsnips, cabbage
Black pepper, for seasoning
½ chilli pepper, deseeded and minced
½ teaspoon dried mixed herbs or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs, e.g. parsley, chives, thyme etc
2 tablespoons plain flour
Vegetable oil for frying