1. Preheat oven to 190°C (Gas Mark 5).
2. Lightly grease a medium-sized baking tin 26 x 17cm (11"x7").
3. Sieve the two types of flour into a large mixing bowl. Pour any bran left in the sieve into the bowl and add the sugar and mixed spice.
4. Rub the margarine into the flour mixture.
5. Open the tinned pineapple and drain the juice.
6. Add the grated carrot, chopped pineapple and orange zest to the flour mixture.
7. Make a well in the centre of the mixture and add 1 large beaten egg. Mix to a soft consistency.
8. Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
9. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes and cut into 12 squares.
110g (4oz) self-raising flour
110g (4oz) wholemeal self-raising flour
85g (3oz) caster sugar
½ teaspoon mixed spice
110g (4oz) margarine
2 small carrots, grated
1 small tin pineapple, chopped into small pieces
Zest of 1 orange
1 large egg