1. Preheat oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4).
2. Prepare 12 cup muffin tray with muffin cases.
3. Sift together the flours, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and ground ginger into a large mixing bowl, then stir in the sugar.
4. Beat together the eggs and oil in a bowl until well combined.
5. Add grated carrots, orange zest and raisins to the eggs, then stir well.
6. Gradually fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture. If the mixture is too dry then add a little milk.
7. Spoon the muffin mixture into muffin cases (about ¾ full).
8. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes until well risen.
9. Check if cooked through by inserting a skewer or knife into the centre of one muffin - it should come out clean.
10. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for at least 10 minutes in the tray.
11. To make the icing, add a splash of orange juice to the icing sugar and stir to a thin paste, spoon over the top of each muffin and leave to set.
170g (6oz) plain flour
85g (3oz) wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
½ teaspoon ground ginger
85g (3oz) brown sugar
2 medium eggs
3 tablespoons sunflower oil
2 medium carrots, washed and grated
Zest and juice of 1 medium orange
1 small handful raisins
A little semi-skimmed milk
4 tablespoons icing sugar