1. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil then add the noodles. Cook the noodles according to packet instructions, about 5-7 minutes. When tender, drain well, run under cold running water to refresh and drain well again. Leave to one side.
2. Heat two teaspoons of vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan until very hot. Add the garlic, ginger and chicken. Stir fry for 5 minutes. Add a pinch of Chinese five spice (optional). Scoop out the chicken onto a plate and leave to one side.
3. Re-heat the wok/ pan. Add the remaining vegetable oil. When the oil is hot add the onions and carrot and stir fry for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the mushrooms and Chinese cabbage and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
5. Then add the rest of the ingredients –spring onions, beansprouts, noodles, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil if using and the hot chicken stock. Add the chicken back in and stir fry for 3 minutes until heated through.
6. Serve and eat with chopsticks!
3 squares of egg noodles, wholewheat if possible
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled, chopped until minced
2.5cm (1 inch) piece root ginger, peeled, chopped until minced
2 raw chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced
½ teaspoon Chinese five spice (optional)
1 onion, peeled and sliced
1 large carrot, peeled, thinly sliced on the diagonal
6 large mushrooms, sliced
6 Chinese cabbage leaves, roughly chopped
4 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
¼ chicken stock cube made up with 100ml boiling water