1. Chop the chicken into thin 1 cm (½ inch) strips and place in a bowl.
2. Peel and finely chop the garlic and ginger and add to the chicken.
3. Add the soy sauce, cornflour, Chinese 5 spice powder, Chinese rice cooking wine (if using) and sesame oil to the chicken. Mix together and leave to marinate for at least 10 minutes (up to 2 hours in a fridge if possible).
4. Remove the top of the chilli, slice in half lengthways and chop finely. (Remove the seeds if less heat is desired).
5. Meanwhile prepare the vegetables: peel and slice the onion. Wash the carrot, remove top and tail, cut into thin strips. Remove the top of the pepper, deseed and slice into strips. Slice the mushrooms. Chop the green vegetables into strips. Slice the spring onions.
6. Heat a wok or large frying pan on a high heat for 30 seconds then add the vegetable oil. Add the chicken and marinade juices to the wok/pan, stir-fry for 3-4 minutes.
7. Reduce the heat to medium then add the chillies, carrots and onion. Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes.
8. Add the peppers, mushrooms and green vegetables, stir-fry for 3-4 minutes.
9. Finally add the bean sprouts and pour in ¼ - ½ cup of water to the wok/pan and continue to cook for a further 2-3 minutes (cover with a lid if available).
10. Meanwhile bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add the noodles and cook according to packet instructions. When noodles are soft (about 5 minutes), drain.
11. Serve the noodles with the stir-fry.
3 chicken breast fillets
1 clove garlic
2½cm (1 inch) piece root ginger
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon cornflour
½ teaspoon Chinese 5 spice powder
1 tablespoon Chinese rice cooking wine or dry sherry (optional)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 red or green chilli
1 packet dried egg noodles
Vegetables of your choice:
1 medium onion
1 large carrot
1 large red pepper
1 green vegetable (e.g. courgette)
1 small bunch spring onions
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
½ packet bean sprouts
¼ - ½ cup water