1. Mix together the turmeric powder, salt and lime juice.
Marinate the chicken pieces, cover and refrigerate for
about 30 minutes.
2. Heat a small frying pan and dry fry the mustard
seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and coriander seeds
until fragrant and lightly browned. When cool place
the seeds in a sandwich bag and crush using a rolling
pin or alternatively grind using a pestle and mortar
into a fine powder.
3. Blitz the onion, garlic, ginger, green chillies, chilli
powder and the spice seed mixture with 1 tablespoon
of coconut milk in a blender until a smooth paste.
4. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan. When hot add the
spice paste and fry for 30 seconds.
5. Add the chicken pieces and fry for 5 minutes to seal
the chicken on all sides.
6. Add the bay leaves, cloves and cinnamon stick.
7. Add the coconut milk. Simmer, uncovered for 35-40
minutes or until the sauce is reduced and thick and the
chicken tender and cooked through.
8. Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with plain
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon salt
Juice of 1 lime
6-8 joints of chicken (e.g. thigh/ drumsticks),
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
2 onions, peeled, roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves, peeled, roughly chopped
2.5cm (1 inch) piece fresh root ginger,
2 green chillies, deseeded and roughly chopped
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 can of coconut milk, 400ml (reduced fat coconut
milk where possible)
2 bay leaves
2.5cm (1 inch) piece cinnamon stick
1 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped