1. Rinse and drain rice grains several times then put rice in a saucepan and add the cold water.
2. Bring the pan of rice to the boil over a high heat then immediately turn to a low heat. Place a tight-fitting lid on top and steam cook for 12-15 minutes until rice grains are tender. When cooked, the water should have been absorbed and the rice grains fluffy and tender.
3. Meanwhile, peel and finely chop the garlic and ginger.
4. Whisk the eggs and finely slice the spring onion.
5. When the rice is cooked, heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan. When the wok or frying pan is hot add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry over a medium heat for 30 seconds.
6. Add the eggs and cook for 1 minute until lightly scrambled.
7. Add the rice and stir fry for 3 minutes.
8. Add the light and dark soy sauce and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.
9. Add the spring onion and stir fry for a further 1 minute.
10. Serve immediately.
300g (11oz) rice
320ml (12fl oz) cold water
1 garlic clove
1 inch piece root ginger
2 medium eggs
2 stalks spring onion
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce