1. Marinate the fish with a squeeze of lemon juice, pinch
of salt and red chilli powder for 15-20 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 190°C (gas mark 5). Bake the fish
fillets in a roasting tin lined with foil for 12-15 minutes
or until cooked through. Flake the fillets into large
pieces and leave to one side.
3. Heat a large deep frying pan or wok. Add the vegetable
oil. When the oil is hot add the garlic and ginger
and stir fry for 10-15 seconds without burning. Turn
the heat to medium and add the whole spices – cloves
and cardamom pods.
4. Add the carrots and baby corn and stir fry for
5. Add the spring onions, peas and green chilli and stir
fry for 2 minutes.
6. Add the leftover rice and stir fry for 3-4 minutes.
Sprinkle over the soy sauce.
7. Add the cashew nuts and fish pieces. Stir through and
cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
450g (1lb) fish fillets (about 3 firm white fish or 3
½ lemon, juice only
Pinch of salt
½ teaspoon red chilli powder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced into a paste
2.5cm (1 inch) piece fresh root ginger and minced
into a paste
2 cardamom pods, crushed
1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
1 small pack of baby corn, sliced into rounds
6 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
100g (4oz) frozen garden peas, defrosted
1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
6 serving spoons leftover plain rice, cold
2 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons cashew nuts