1. Preheat oven to 200°C (Gas Mark 6). Place muffin cases in a 12 cup muffin tin.
2. If using berries, wash and drain well.
3. Weigh out and sieve the flour, caster sugar and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl.
4. Beat the eggs in a bowl and then add the oil.
5. Add the milk and vanilla extract to the egg/oil mixture.
6. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Do not over mix.
7. Fold in the filling ingredients of your choice.
8. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases (about two-thirds full).
9. Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
10. Leave to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
270g (10oz) self-raising flour
160g (6oz) caster sugar
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
80ml vegetable oil
150ml (¼ pint) semi-skimmed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
160g (6oz) blueberries
160g (6oz) raspberries
Zest of 1 lemon
1 small apple (grated)
2 tablespoon sultanas
½ teaspoon of mixed spice or cinnamon
1 large ripe banana (peeled and mashed)
2 tablespoons chocolate chips