1. Pour the milk into a medium saucepan along with the
crushed cardamom pods and cinnamon stick and bring
to the boil, turn the heat down to a very gentle simmer
and reduce by almost half. Stir often to ensure the
milk doesn't burn on the bottom. Remove and
2. Melt the unsalted butter in a large heavy based pan.
Add the grated carrots and gently fry for 8-10 minutes
or until the carrots are tender.
3. Remove the cinnamon stick from the milk and pour
over the carrots. Continue stirring every 5 minutes on
a low heat until there is little or no milk remaining.
4. Add the sugar and stir well. Continue to cook for a
further 3-4 minutes.
5. Garnish with chopped pistachios and flaked almonds
just before serving.
750ml (just over 1¼ pint) whole milk
3 cardamom pods, crushed
2.5cm (1 inch) piece cinnamon stick
25g (1oz) unsalted butter
1kg (2lb 4oz) carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
50g (2oz) sugar
10 unsalted pistachio nuts, chopped
2 tablespoons flaked almonds