1. Wash the rice in cold running water.
2. Bring the milk to the boil in a shallow wide saucepan
and add the rice and cardamom pods. Simmer over a
low heat for about an hour, stirring frequently.
Remove the cardamom pods and discard. The rice
should be thick and creamy and the colour should also
be creamy rather than white.
3. Add the sugar, sultanas, half of the chopped almonds/
pistachio nuts and a pinch of saffron. Continue to
cook for a further 3-4 minutes stirring frequently.
4. Take off the heat and add the vanilla essence or rose
water if using and stir well to combine.
5. Serve hot or cold and garnish with the remaining
chopped nuts and silver or gold leaf if using.
50g (2oz) long grain rice or basmati rice
1 litre of whole milk
4 cardamom pods, crushed
25g (1oz) sugar
2 tablespoons sultanas
10 whole almonds or pistachio nuts, chopped
Pinch of saffron
Optional – ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence or 2 drops of
Garnish – flaked almonds/ pistachio nuts and edible
silver or gold leaves (chandi varak) to decorate - optional