1. Preheat oven to 190 C (Gas Mark 5). Line the base of a 20cm round cake tin with greasproof paper and brish with a little vegetable oil.
2. Wash and slice the potatoes (leave the skin on).
3. Cook the potatoes in a pan of water of boiling water for 6-8 minutes until just tender. Drain and pat dry with kitchen paper.
4. Heat the remaining oil and fry the leeks and thyme for 5 minutes. stirring occasionally, until softened and just beginning to turn golden. Remove from the heat.
5. Layer up the potatoes and leek mixture alternately in the prepared tin and season well between each layer.
6. Beat the eggs and milk together and add the grated cheese. Pour over the leek and potato layers.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden and firm to the touch.
8. Leave to cool. Turn out of the cake tin and remove the greaseproof paper.
9. Serve warm or cold.
Try other frittata filling suggestions:
- pea, feta cheese and mint
- salmon and broccoli
- courgette and red pepper
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
450g (1lb) new potatoes
2 leeks, sliced and washed
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
Black pepper for seasoning
6 eggs, large
100ml (3 1/2 fl oz) semi skimmed milk
85g (3oz) mature cheddar cheese, grated
This dish provides a source of protein from the eggs and a source of calcium from the milk and cheese. There is no added salt, instead herbs and black pepper are used as flavourings.