1. Peel and chop the onion and potato and wash and chop the carrot.
2. Heath the oil in a saucepan, add the onion, carrot and potato and fry on a low heat until softened for about 3 minutes.
3. Add the cumin, coriander and turmeric.
4. Make the stock by adding half a stock cube to 570ml (1 pint) hot water.
5. Add the red lentils and stock and season with black pepper.
6. Cover the pan with a lid and turn up the heat until the soup is boiling. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 35 minutes or until the lentils are soft, stirring occasionally. Add a little more water if required.
7. For a smoother soup put in a blender or through a sieve.
1 small onion
1 medium carrot
1 medium potato
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric
570ml (1 pint) hot water
½ stock cube
50g (2oz) red lentils
black pepper to season