1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and
garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Add the chilli and the chicken pieces. Cook for a few
minutes each side and brown all over.
3. Add the ground spices – cumin, turmeric, coriander
and black pepper. Add the cardamom pods and salt.
Cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the tomato puree and fresh coriander.
5. Add the potatoes and carrots.
6. Pour in the boiling water. Simmer for 40-45 minutes
or until the meat is tender.
7. Serve the soup with wedges of lime or lemon.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, peeled and sliced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced to a paste
1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
4 chicken pieces with bone in, skin removed
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon ground coriander
¼ teaspoon black pepper
3-4 cardamom pods, crushed
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon tomato puree
2 tablespoons fresh coriander, finely chopped
2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite size
2 carrots, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
4-5 cups (about 1 litre) of boiling water
Lemon/ lime wedges for garnishing