1. Wash the rice in cold running water until the water
runs clear. Soak the rice for 20 minutes in cold water.
Drain well and leave to one side.
2. Heat the butter and vegetable oil in a large saucepan
and fry the whole spices – cumin seeds, cloves and
cinnamon stick for 1 minute until fragrant.
3. Add the onion, carrots, ginger and whole chillies
and cook for 5-7 minutes until beginning to brown
4. Add the rice and the ground spices – cumin, coriander
and turmeric. Stir to combine.
5. Add the peas and hot stock. Bring to the boil, and then
turn the heat to the lowest setting, cover with a lid and
leave to cook for 10-12 minutes until the rice grains are
tender. Do not stir or lift the lid during cooking. Turn
the heat off and leave to steam for another 5 minutes.
225g (8oz) basmati rice or long grain rice
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
3 whole cloves
2.5 cm (1 inch) cinnamon stick
1 onion, peeled, chopped
2 carrots, peeled, cubed
2.5cm (1 inch) piece root ginger, peeled and minced
1-2 green chillies, whole
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon turmeric (optional)
1 cupful garden peas, defrosted
1 vegetable stock cube made up with 425ml (¾ pint)