1) Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and gently fry the chicken thighs for 5 minutes on each side until browned. Remove to a plate and leave to one side.
2) Reheat the pan. Add the onion and garlic and gently fry 5 minutes until the onions are soft.
3) Add the spices – turmeric, chilli, ginger, black pepper, cinnamon and paprika. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
4) Add the canned tomatoes. Simmer for 5 minutes
5) Stir in the chickpeas and apricots.
6) Add the browned chicken thighs.
7) Simmer for 15 minutes and until the chicken is cooked through.
8) Just before serving, squeeze in the lemon juice and sprinkle with parsley or coriander and almonds.
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 chicken thighs, bone in, skin removed
1 onion, peeled and sliced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
½ teaspoon chilli flakes
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon paprika
400g (1 can) chopped tomatoes
100g (4oz) cooked chickpeas
6 ready to eat apricots, chopped
½ lemon, juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or coriander
1 tablespoon flaked almonds