1. Preheat oven to 150°C or gas mark 2. Place a 1.5 litre oven proof dish into the oven to warm up.
2. Dry fry the bacon in a pan on a moderate heat for about 5 minutes until the fat runs and the bacon is lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
3. Reheat the pan and add the onion, garlic and leeks and fry gently for 5-8 minutes or until soft. Return the bacon to the pan and add the rice and chopped mushrooms.
4. Add the hot stock, herbs and black pepper and bring to a simmer. Transfer the rice mixture to the warmed ovenproof dish and place on the centre shelf. Bake, uncovered for 20 minutes.
5. Add the parmesan cheese and stir to combine. Bake in the oven for a further 15 minutes.
6. Remove the risotto from the oven and sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese on top before serving.
125g (4½oz) back bacon, diced – about 4 slices
1 onion, peeled and diced
1 clove garlic, peeled and finely minced or crushed
1-2 leeks, trimmed and finely sliced
225g (8oz) risotto rice, e.g. arborio, carnaroli
100g (4oz) mushrooms, chopped
725ml (1.25 pints) hot chicken or vegetable stock
1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
Black pepper, for seasoning
50g (2oz) parmesan, grated, plus extra for sprinkling