1. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan. When the oil
is hot carefully add the paneer pieces and pan fry for a
few minutes until golden brown. Scoop out onto a
plate and leave to one side.
2. In a large deep pan or wok add the spinach leaves with
100ml boiling water. Wilt the spinach leaves. Drain
and reserve the liquid. Refresh the spinach leaves
with cold water and drain again. Squeeze out as much
liquid as possible.
3. Heat the remaining oil in the deep pan/wok. When
hot add the cumin seeds and fry for 1 minute.
4. Add the onion and fry for 10 minutes until soft
5. Add the ground spices – red chilli powder, turmeric,
ginger and coriander.
6. Add the tomatoes and tomato puree. Simmer gently
for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the salt.
7. Add the paneer pieces, spinach leaves and a splash
of the reserved spinach liquid. Continue to cook for 5
minutes and stir gently without breaking up
8. Serve with plain boiled rice or wholemeal chapattis.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
225g (8oz)) paneer, cut into 2.5cm (1 inch) pieces
300g (11oz) spinach
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 onion, peeled and diced
½ teaspoon red chilli powder (or to taste)
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 tomatoes, skinned and diced
1 tablespoon tomato puree
¼ teaspoon salt