1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic and pepper and gently fry for 10 minutes until soften.
2. Add the lentils and tomato puree.
3. Add the tomatoes, herbs, black pepper, chilli flakes, stock cube and 300ml water.
4. Simmer the sauce for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Add the pasta and cook for 10-12 minutes or until pasta is ‘al dente’. Drain well.
6. Mix the pasta and sauce together and serve.
1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
1 onion, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into strips
75g (2½oz) red lentils, washed
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 can (400g) chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried herbs – basil, oregano
Black pepper, to season
Pinch of chilli flakes
1 vegetable stock cube, made up with 300ml water
300g (11oz) wholewheat pasta shapes