1. Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the garlic and ginger for 30 seconds without burning.
2. Add the sweet potato and carrots and fry for 5 minutes.
3. Add the aubergine, peppers, courgettes and mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes.
4. Add the ground spices (cumin, turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala) and move the vegetables around the pan so they are coated with the spices.
5. Add the tomatoes and coconut milk. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add the spinach leaves and wilt for 2 minutes in the pan.
7. Garnish with coriander.
8. Serve with rice or naan bread.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced to a paste
2.5cm (1 inch) piece fresh root ginger, peeled and minced to a paste
2 small sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed
2 carrots, peeled and cubed
1 large aubergine, chopped into cubed
2 peppers, deseeded and cubed
2 courgettes, cubed
1 box of mushrooms, halved
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 can (400g) chopped tomatoes, drained
½ can (200ml) reduced fat coconut milk
150g (5oz) spinach leaves
2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped