1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Fry the onions for 5 minutes until beginning to soften.
2. Add the garlic, carrots and peppers. Fry gently for a further 5 minutes.
3. Add the puy/ green lentils, bay leaves, herbs, chilli flakes, tomato puree and tomatoes. Cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the hot stock and season with black pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the courgette half way through.
5. Meanwhile bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Cook the potatoes for 10-12 minutes until tender. Drain well. Add the milk and mash until smooth. Stir in the spring onions and half the grated cheese.
6. Pre-heat oven to 200°C/ gas mark 6.
7. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the cheese has melted and golden brown.
1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 large carrots, peeled and diced
2 peppers, mixed colours, deseeded and chopped
150g (1 box) mushrooms, chopped
110g (4oz) puy lentils or green lentils, washed
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
Pinch of chilli flakes
2 tomatoes, chopped
3 tablespoons tomato puree
1 vegetable stock cube, made up with 330ml boiling water
Black pepper, to season
1 courgette, chopped
1kg (2lb 3½oz) white potatoes, peeled and chopped into even sized pieces 50ml semi-skimmed milk
6 spring onions, trimmed, sliced thinly
110g (4oz) mature cheddar cheese, grated