1. Dry-fry the minced beef in a large non-stick pan for 5 minutes until brown, then drain off any excess fat.
2. Meanwhile peel and finely chop the garlic, peel and slice the onion.
3. Wash and grate the carrot and finely chop the celery, pepper and mushrooms.
4. Add the garlic, onion and all the vegetables to the mince and cook for a further 5 minutes.
5. Add the tomato puree, tinned tomatoes/passata, lentils (prepared according to packet instructions), herbs and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer over a low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Meanwhile cook the spaghetti in a large pan of water according to packet instructions. Drain the spaghetti/pasta and serve the bolognese sauce on top.
7. Serve with black pepper.
1 small pack minced beef
1-2 cloves garlic
1 celery stick
1 red pepper
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 tin chopped tomatoes/carton passata
1 handful red lentils
1 teaspoon mixed herbs
280ml (½ pint) beef stock (½ stock cube)
350g (12oz) wholewheat spaghetti/pasta
Black pepper to season