1. Wash the okra and pat dry with kitchen paper. Trim
the okra and cut into slices about 2cm thick.
2. Heat the oil in a pan. When hot add the cumin seeds
and fry for 1 minute until fragrant.
3. Add the onion and fry for 8-10 minutes until soft
4. Add the minced garlic and ginger paste and fry for
5. Add the okra and the ground spices – chilli powder,
coriander and turmeric. Add the salt. Mix well and
cook for 5 minutes.
6. Add the tomatoes. Cover and continue to cook
for 10 minutes or until the okra is tender, stirring
occasionally. Add a splash of water if too dry.
7. Serve with plain boiled rice or wholemeal chapatti.
300g (11oz) okra
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced into a paste
2.5cm (1 inch) piece root ginger, peeled and minced
into a paste
½ teaspoon red chilli powder (or to taste)
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
¼ teaspoon of salt
2 tomatoes, diced