1. Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic, wash and dice the carrot, wipe the mushrooms clean and slice, deseed the pepper and chop into small chunks.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and garlic and fry gently for 2-3 minutes. Add the carrot and mushrooms and fry gently for a further 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the peppers, tinned tomatoes, tinned sweetcorn, tomato puree, mixed herbs and black pepper, and bring to the boil. Then simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Meanwhile bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add the pasta and cook according to packet instructions. When just tender, drain the pasta.
5. Open and drain the tin of tuna.
6. Mix the cooked pasta and tuna flakes into the tomato sauce. Stir well and transfer into an ovenproof dish.
7. Tear the bread into small pieces and grate the cheese, then sprinkle them over the top of the pasta.
8. Place under a hot grill for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Alternatively cook in a pre-heated oven at 200°C (Gas Mark 6) for 10 minutes.
1 large onion
1 clove garlic
1 large carrot
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tins chopped tomatoes
1 small tin sweetcorn
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1-2 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
Ground black pepper to season
3 mugs wholewheat pasta shapes
1 large tin tuna in brine or water
3 slices day-old bread
85g (3oz) mature cheddar cheese