1. Preheat oven to 190°c (Gas Mark 5).
2. Grease two 20cm (8 inch) cake tins and line with baking paper.
3. Cream together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Beat the eggs then add to the creamed margarine a little at a time beating well with a wooden spoon.
5. Mix in the vanilla extract (if using).
6. Sift the flour into the creamed mixture. The mixture should be a soft dropping consistency. Add some of the water if the mixture is too dry.
7. Divide the mixture between the two cake tins.
8. Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
9. Test if cooked by inserting a skewer or knife into the centre of one sponge cake - the skewer or knife should come out clean.
10. Cool in the tins for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
11. Meanwhile beat together the soft cheese and fromage frais in a bowl and slice the fruit.
12. On top of one sponge cake spread on the fromage frais mixture, then layer with fresh fruit. Sandwich together with the other sponge.
13. Decorate on top with any remaining fruit.
150g (5oz) margarine
110g (3¾oz) caster sugar
2 medium sized eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
175g (6oz) self-raising flour
1-2 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons low-fat cream cheese OR curd cheese
6 tablespoons natural fromage frais
Fresh fruitt of your choice e.g. strawberries, peaches or tinned fruit