Physical activity is essential throughout your life, helping to provide you with:
- healthy bones, muscles and joints
- a healthy heart and lungs
- coordination and movement control
- a healthy body weight
- reduced risk of conditions such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, heart disease and certain cancers
It is recommendation is that young people up to 18 years old should do 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity every day and adults aged 18+ 150 minutes of moderate intensity activity or 75 minutes of vigorous activity a week.
Games, sports and activities, such as; swimming, fitness classes, walking or cycling are all great ways to help you get physical activity into your day and provide other benefits such as:
- boosting your mood and self-esteem making you feel good
- being sociable
- improving concentration
Let’s get active outdoors is a free programme of activities including led and self-guided walks, fitness sessions and health classes that take place in the borough’s parks and green spaces. For further information visit the Move More page.
Our leisure centres also offer opportunities for you to get active.