Physical activity is central to your child’s normal growth and development and its importance continues through their school years and into adulthood and older age, ensuring:
- healthy bones, muscles and joints
- a healthy heart and lungs
- good coordination and movement control
- a healthy body weight
- reduced risk of conditions such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, heart disease and certain cancers
It’s recommended that children aged 5 – 18 years old do 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity every day. This activity does not need to be done all at once and can be achieved across the whole day.
Games, sports and activities such as; swimming, trampolining and walking or cycling to and from school are all great ways to help children achieve their 60 minutes and provide other benefits such as:
- boosting your child’s mood and self-esteem making them feel good
- it’s sociable
- it improves concentration and behaviour
For more ideas and information about how children and families can get active in Dudley visit the Parks Activities page and the Family Information Service
Our leisure centres also offer oportunities for children and families to get active.