1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the garlic and onions for 5 minutes.
2. Add the squash and carrots. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
3. Dissolve the stock cube in 1 litre of boiling water and add to the vegetables along with the lentils.
4. Season using herbs and spices of your choice and black pepper.
5. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat.
6. Use a hand blender to blend until smooth.
7. Serve with a dollop of crème fraiche if using.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 butternut squash, quartered, seeds removed and peel removed. Chop further into 2.5cm (1 inch) pieces
2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
1 vegetable stock cube
50g (2oz) red lentils
1 teaspoon herbs/ spices of your choice – nutmeg, paprika, chilli, mixed herbs
Black pepper, for seasoning
2 tablespoons half fat crème fraiche (optional)