For the baked aubergine:
1. Preheat oven to 190°C (Gas Mark 5).
2. Place aubergine cubes into an ovenproof dish with half the garlic and half the oil.
3. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until tender.
For the spiced vegetable stew:
4. Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan and fry the onions for 5 minutes.
5. Add the remaining chopped garlic, chilli and all the spices - paprika, ground cumin and cayenne pepper. Fry for 1 minute.
6. Add the carrot, pepper/courgette, tomato puree, tinned tomatoes and 300ml (approx ¾ pint) hot vegetable stock. Stir and simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Stir in the chickpeas and simmer for another 10 minutes.
For the couscous:
8. Add the remaining stock to the couscous in a saucepan. Cover and leave to stand for 5-8 minutes.
9. Fluff up the couscous then add the lemon juice, parsley and season well with black pepper.
1 large aubergine, cubed
4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
4 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 onion, peeled and diced
1 chilli pepper, finely chopped
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 carrot, washed and diced
1 pepper/courgette, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 tin chopped tomatoes
725ml (1¼ pint) vegetable stock
1 large tin chickpeas, drained
275g (10oz) couscous
Juice of 1 lemon
1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
Black pepper to season