1. Cut the fish into large even sized pieces. Sprinkle
with lemon juice.
2. Mix together the salt, chilli powder, turmeric, garlic
and ginger paste and rub the marinade into the fish
pieces. Set to one side.
3. Prepare the batter – mix together the chickpea flour,
chilli powder, garam masala and ajwain seeds. Add the
beaten egg and mix to a medium consistency batter,
add a little water if too thick.
4. Coat the fish in the batter and leave for 10 minutes.
5. Heat a non stick frying pan with 2 tablespoons of
vegetable oil until very hot. Add the fish and cook
for 3 minutes on each side or until the batter is crisp
and cooked through. Cook in batches if necessary.
6. Serve with salad and potatoes and garnish with
wedges of lemon.
450g (1lb) firm white fish ( haddock, pollack, hake etc)
or oily fish (salmon etc)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¼ teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon chilli powder (or to taste)
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
2.5 cm(1 inch) piece root ginger, peeled and
minced into a paste
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced into a paste
4 heaped tablespoons chickpea flour
Pinch of chilli powder
½ teaspoon garam masala
½ teaspoon ajwain seeds
1 egg, lightly beaten