1. Wash the rice under cold running water until the
water runs clear. Drain and leave to one side.
2. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and add all the
spices. Gently fry for 1 minute until fragrant then add
the rice and water. Add salt if using.
3. Bring to the boil and cook for 4-6 minutes, until the
rice grains are just tender.
4. Cover and turn the heat to the lowest setting and cook
for a further 5-7 minutes.
5. Do not lift the lid or stir.
6. Turn off the heat and leave to steam for 10 minutes.
7. Fluff up the rice and serve.
225g (8oz) basmati or long grain rice
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Whole spices –
2 cardamom pods, crushed
2.5cm (1 inch) piece cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 bay leaves
Ground spices –
½ teaspoon turmeric
Pinch of salt (optional)