1. Preheat oven to 190°C (Gas Mark 5).
2. Peel and chop onion, peel and finely chop garlic, wash and deseed pepper and chop into chunks, wash and chop courgettes into 1cm rounds, slice the mushrooms.
3. Heat oil in a saucepan, add the onions and garlic and fry for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the pepper, courgettes and mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes.
5. Add the lentils (prepare according to packet instructions), kidney beans, tomato puree, tinned tomatoes, dried herbs and black pepper. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Meanwhile, grate the cheese and set aside.
7. Mix the cornflour in a small cup with 1 tablespoon of milk until a paste is formed with no lumps.
8. Bring the rest of the milk to the boil on the hob in a saucepan.
9. Reduce hob temperature so milk is simmering then gradually add cornflour mix into the heated milk, stirring continuously.
10. Continue stirring until the sauce begins to thicken.
11. The sauce should be smooth and glossy without any lumps.
12. Spoon a layer of the vegatble mixture into the bottom of an ovenproof dish, add a layer of lasagne sheets. Pour on some of the white sauce. Add a second layer of vegetable mixture and lasagne sheets.
13. Finish off with the remaining white sauce and top with grated cheese.
14. Bake in oven for 35 minutes.
1 garlic clove
1 tablespoon oil
100g (3½ oz) lentils
1 tin kidney beans
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
ground black pepper
100g (3½ oz) mature cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons cornflour
1 pint semi-skimmed milk